Wednesday, February 07, 2007

true

an open letter:

in my heart, i know you.

and yet.

when you tell me something i accept it as your truth. when you tell me another thing my head tells me that you are being dishonest. and my heart cannot hold that much.

inconsistent truths.

i hear in your voice that you love me. but you also tell me different things that don't fit together. suddenly i don't know who you are. i just want you to be you. and when you don't make sense, suddenly we don't make sense.

unpredictable.

contradictions.

tell me one thing. then tell me something else. tell me why no two answers are alike.

i remember what you tell me. i drink it in. because i take what i can get from you. perhaps the rest is just wistful thinking. to have you is wonderful. to have all of you, the true you, might be too much to ask. it strikes me as curious that the same thing you wish of me is what i wish of you. because i need to know you. i want to know you. i love the you i know.

the thing that stays the same is your love for me. and maybe that is good enough.

xoxo,
sophie

No comments: