Thursday, August 28, 2008

unlink

letter to an old friend:

hello,

thank you for sending me a form email requesting to be linked to me professionally. you were a budding lawyer fresh out of law school the last time i saw you. i remember when i was invited to your wedding and i debated whether or not you really wanted me to be there. i vividly remember that your bride did not.

i went anyway.

the first time i saw you, we were on a flight from london to venice. no offense, but you weren't the one that i thought was cute. and yet, after splitting a bottle of red italian wine, i had a change of thought. you gave me a red rose, and i thought you were sweet. your companions egged me on, encouraging a kiss in exchange. i agreed, and before i knew it we were quite the spectacle, trying to hide in glass phone booths and under street lights.

omg. it was only that one time.

after the red wine faded and the sun came into view. i woke up. it never happened again. my decision. it would never last beyond italy.

we shall always have venice, but we shall not be linked in.

kindest regards,
sophie

1 comment:

Maurey Pierce said...

Well, we have all been ... there.