Tuesday, July 29, 2008

ebay

i was ebaying tonight, and i came across this listing:

"Here is a pair of two bentwood chairs produced by Herman Miller for the State of Minnesota. That’s right, our State contracted with the Herman Miller Company back in maybe the 1950’s to purchase office furniture. With the remodels of buildings the furniture was either sold or hauled off to be burnt. Yes, again, us folks in Minnesota really do not have a sense of design. Years ago, I found this pair of chairs in a barn being used to hold egg cartons. I dusted them off and cleaned them with a very mild soap. They were used in my office for a while. Then I went to work for the State and have office furniture that matches everyone elses. So rather than have the chairs sit in my basement we are selling them. One chair has a mended (or nailed a zillion times) leg. There is no way I am going to try to figure out how or why someone put that many nails into the leg. There are close up pictures of the leg attached and after the removal. The legs will be off the chairs when shipped. UPS wanted $152 and some odd change to ship the chairs with the legs on. Same weight just a different size box.

We've been contacted by folks to suggest that these are actually Thonet bentwood chairs. So of course I googled it and found that Thonet made a chair that looks just like these. All I can tell you is that we are certain of their provenance. They really were made for the state. So the bottom line is that you've been informed of the discussion. So just bid and enjoy."

it made me laugh. and cry. i miss minnesota.

cheers.

No comments: