Thursday, June 11, 2009

prenup

i was having a conversation with s the other day.

the usual: relationships, love, marriage.

she asked me if the bf had ever brought up the topic of a prenup, and if i would sign it.

the thought never even crossed my mind. i know it's common now, i just assumed i wouldn't have to deal with one.

the bf and i joke about how when we get married all this will be yours. in my case, it means he will get all my stuff and very little cash.

when i got home, i asked him if he had ever thought about it, thinking the answer would be no.

but i was wrong.

do you ever really know the ones you love?

i know guys think practically and girls think emotionally. but it still kind of hurt. it's that whole "it's just a piece of paper" kind of thing, kind of like a marriage license.

and it's double-sided.

1 comment:

Whiskeymarie said...

What my prenup would have been (in 1996):
I get the futon, the various antique knick-knacks, my shoe, purse and jewelery collections, and continued payments on the 1992 Geo Metro.
He gets his student loans, any and all Star wars memorabilia, the TV and that pan that cooks eggs so well.

13 years later, I dare say we'd still be pretty diplomatic about the whole thing.
;)