Wednesday, May 05, 2010

dis

what people don't tell you about planning a wedding is the unhappiness you will inevitably encounter along the way.

don't get me wrong, planning a wedding can be blissful, and fun, and surreal. and totally girlie.

all things that i love.

it can also be a major exercise in disappointment.

like it or not, there will be people who will not rsvp by the date requested, some not at all. not ever. some people will not respond to your follow-up call/email/text. people will not send in their rsvp even if a follow-up is made. even if it is specifically requested. there will be unknowns. great friends will miss your wedding. and you will unfairly place blame. and you will feel sad. and disappointment. and regret.

hey, it is an emotional time. and boy, is it an emotional ride. it's super high highs, to fantastic zen moments, to uncharacteristically low lows. it spans the spectrum of everything you can think of in feelings.

i'd like to think that it's the feelings that stay with you. the good ones. the ones where you realize that even though everything isn't working out the way you want it to, it is working out the way it supposed to be.

so you let go. and release. and give the negative energy away.

1 comment:

Guacaholic said...

I have heard about the MIA RSVPers, but it surprises me that people don't respond to the follow-ups. Disappointing for sure.

I wonder if it's a passive-aggressive MN thing. Or an "I can't afford to go" thing. Rather than just say "no, we're not coming" people ignore the follow up. Which, of course, only makes things worse.

I know for sure that I will have a handful of those. And in my situation, I'll blame myself for not being better at keeping up old friendships. And then in the era of Facebook, I'll have to decide whether or not to un-friend the MIA RSVPers.

Back on topic: I think that you will forget about the lows once you get to the day-of and the day-before (so soon!) and it will all melt away into the good stuff.