Monday, June 26, 2006

good news day

the good news comes when you least expect it.

the bad news is that i need my friends to understand the concept of etiquette.

one of my biggest peeves (i hate that word) is when people do not rsvp, and i am forced to hunt down a response. come on, i send you a nice invitation with all the details, and you can't muster up a phone call? i'm inviting you to a lovely evening with good friends and good food and you can't bring yourself to respond?

to me, manners are essential. please. if you don't know which fork to use, fine. but if you chew with your mouth open or answer your phone during dinner? no.

and what's up with maybe? what kind of an answer is that? a firm yes or no would suffice - i promise i won't be mad! i will be mad, however, if that maybe is never followed-up with a real answer. or "i don't think i'll make it" - what the hell does that mean? you don't think? you don't know? if you don't think, will you eventually not know? if you don't think now, will you know later? what am i supposed to make of maybe?

it gives me a headache. i wonder if it's a minneapolisnice thing. politely declining an invitation should not be the monstrous effort that it is. it is an art. be gracious. be sincere. be yourself. or f* it all, and just say no.

love, sophie*

*oftentimes, my rants contain a smattering of swear words, wild gesturing, and punctuated with my signature: love, sophie (i believe it softens the blow. see how you still love me when i say that?).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, i know what you mean.

Anonymous said...

Man! I'm glad I RSVP'd right away! It is TOTALLY a MN Nice thing, btw. MN Nice is most often accompanied with MN Passive-ness and MN I FEEL BAD SAYING NO SO I WON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL. Grow a pair.