Wednesday, September 06, 2006

snap

i don't understand how one learns to snap a towel.

was every girl sleeping during that lesson?

it's like every guy knows how to do it, and i don't get it.

last night the bf and i chased each other with towels, laughing at my rendition of the snap. a girl will daintily flick the towel, hoping that whipping it many times in a certain direction will make contact. frequency = accuracy. a boy, however, has perfected the snap and always hits his mark. skill = accuracy. what gives?

we are trapped in the bathroom. i wince before the snap. the inevitable sting is shocking. i whimper. my strategy is to confuse the bf with a blend of fancy footwork and rapid arm movements, punctuated with battle cries and towel acrobatics. he is unfazed, wearing a bemused expression i imagine all parents give a child when she "accidentally" pees her pants. clearly, towel snapping is not a talent of mine.

but does that stop me? am i forced to surrender? not until the bf charges at me, towel in hand, full of menace and snarl. i shriek and run for cover. i try to cower on the sauna bench. okay! i give.

in my online search on the subject, i found this little gem.

think, before you snap. a wise 12 year old said, "i think it's hilarious. it hurts but it's fun."

not above taking advice from someone 13 years my junior, i agree.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

I'm with you on this one. My attempts to match any artfully done "towel snaps" usually end up quite puney.