Friday, December 01, 2006

not the face!

the green bullet might be trying to off me.

i ran out to my car on tuesday night, rushing, as usual, to get to the bf's house. i was late. i am always late. i have good intentions to be early but i know i can't survive off those forever.

in my arms i had the following items:
1. purse
2. holiday hostess gift of chocolate truffle almonds
3. change of clothes
4. car keys

i inhaled sharply, preparing for the sprint to my car on lyndale. it is always a sprint. lyndale avenue is a very busy street, and given the two lanes of traffic plus one lane for parking, most mornings i end up sliding in through the passenger door.

this evening, however, i spotted my opening. i ran out to the driver's side and pulled the door open a wee, keenly aware of the impending green light and release of traffic flowing my way shortly thereafter. i almost dropped the fragile hostess gift, and as i struggled to kept it in my grasp, a push of wind from cars streaming by me forced my car door to close on my hunched body, slamming my forehead into the frame of the car. a metal sophie sandwich. i closed my eyes for a moment. the world turned black. and bright stars danced in my head.

i slumped into the driver's seat, willing the stars to fade.

as soon as i could, (what time was it? what year was it?) i pulled down the mirror to assess the damage.

...a fine looking dent in the forehead. wonderful. now my own car is out to get me.

No comments: