Friday, July 28, 2006

waver, finale

just as i was wondering what to write about today, i hear the door slam and the waver appears at my desk.

please see waver, part i and waver, part ii for backstory.

with an iced green tea from the tea garden in hand.

sweating in its tightly sealed plastic case, a lovely celadon color, the straw had not even punctured the top, the tea was a delicious sight.

thank you!

i couldn't just bring you any tea, he said, i wanted it to be from someplace nice, so i went to the tea garden and asked to see their best black and best green teas. and i picked green.

good choice! i told him it was my last day.

i asked him whom he was going to wave to when i was gone. he said he's not going to wave at all.

and then.....[wait for it]

he asked if he could take me out for a celebratory lunch.*

i politely said that i didn't know him and fumbled around a bit.

i have a hard time letting nice guys down. he's harmless, so what? with unsavory fellows, i have no problem saying, 'sorry, i have a boyfriend.' but for some reason i felt caught off guard and i couldn't say anything at all. dumb!

don't get me wrong, i love the bf. he is fabulous. i am very much in love. i am just an idiot. i know i'll probably be kicking myself for this one. oh well. i'll never have to see him again.

after the door slams shut i hear the familiar chair wheels of duff rolling to see me. i hold up one finger without turning around as i simultaneously read an email message from her titled: OMG and reads: IS THAT THE WAVER????

fin.

*if this counts as asking me out, then i have just lost a bet to the bf. i don't know what the terms are, but i have a suspicion i won't like it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you don't want everyone knowing, but I think it's important to point out your solution to getting him to go away: YOU TOOK HIS NUMBER!!! :) If he ever comes back and asks me about you, I'm giving him your number. That way you'll remember this lesson and next time you'll be able to spit out without thinking "Sorry, I have a boyfriend."

ps said...

in my defense, i was flustered and couldn't think of a way to let him down easily without taking it. and, it was just his email address! it's not like i'm going to use it. ever!

you are a tattle, duff! see if you ever make a cameo appearance in my blog again.