Tuesday, August 29, 2006

mcbirthday

dear exbf,

happy 35th birthday. today you have elevated your status from single to single for a reason. congratulations!

you are a wonderful person, and you taught me that even bad girls can make it with nice boys once in a while. you proved to me that i deserve to have a great boyfriend and be treated well. you showed me that chivalry is not dead and you made me breakfast from scratch. you started my car on cold mornings and brushed the snow off. you took me camping for the first time and you introduced me to brats at the farmer's market.

and the greatest lesson i learned is that you are not the one for me. i don't mean that unkindly, for i know now what is best for me differs from what is best for you. i wanted to love you in the way that i have always wanted to love someone, and i resisted both reality and my nagging heart. because i fell for the good guy you are, the good things in you, and the good that you always gave me.

and now, when i see how far i've come, i realize that i needed you to fill that role in my life. you let me loosen my hold on the cycle of unhappiness that i learned to expect from relationships. you pulled me up and tried to shake me free, and when i wanted to fly, you let me go. i want to thank you, always, for being you. happy 3-5.

xoxo,
sophie

No comments: